Anya's cloak - update :)

Originally uploaded by racaire
...it seems that I forgot to post the last progress - here it is now :)
...now I have to wash the fabric for the lining... :)


Anya's cloak - update :)

Ursprünglich hochgeladen von racaire
Recently I managed to complete the last big pearl roundels of the front border and now I started to work at the filling :)
~complete progress of this project~


Anya’s Laurel cloak – new progress :)

Ursprünglich hochgeladen von racaire
...I started to work at Anya's Laurel cloak and thats the progress till now :)


hood - finished II :)

Ursprünglich hochgeladen von racaire
...I have to admit that I added some additional embroidery - but now its really finished - I promise :)


hood - finished :)

Ursprünglich hochgeladen von racaire
...and my new hood is finished now :)


hood - progress :)

Ursprünglich hochgeladen von racaire
I wanted to make a hood with a dagging since the start of this challenge and now I started one - it's just a progress picture because I still want to add some embroidery to the liripipe :)

stitch not normally used by me: chain stitch


project completed :)

Ursprünglich hochgeladen von racaire
...project "blue 12th century dress with gathered body part" completed :)

stitch not normally used by me: pearl embroidery
& new design elements inspired by the Alba shown at the Treasury here in Vienna
-> dog inspiration
-> inspiration for the other design elements & pearl embroidery


new progress :)

Ursprünglich hochgeladen von racaire
...new pearls and also some new progress concerning my dress :)



Greetings to all,

Well, as I am in desperate need of a cloak, I shall take up the challenge as well. I am currently looking for the right yellow wool. I am also stocking up on rabbit pelts. To both make a large rabbit blanket with all the hides sewn together and also to trim a cloak with. And I think I will attempt Catherine Wheels on the cloak. My arms have three in black. This should be fun AND useful. :-)



project part 3

Here's the linen for the side panels of the dress in a Sappan wood dye bath. The linen mordanted for a day, the wood was also soaked for a day. The linen has been in the bath for about 20 minutes at this point. I'm going to leave it in till Sunday.

project part 2

Here is the embroidery for the collar panel of the dress, and the materials I'm using.

The original embroidery can be found here: http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/asia/s/silk_embroidery_panel_with_flo.aspx

my project, part 1

Ok, so I've been reconstructing a 10th century merchants dress found on the silk road. Here is part one (no embroidery on this part...embroidery pictures are coming next). The total outfit will include these pants, hose, garters, dress, coat, head coverings, and shoes. The dress, garters, head covering, and coat will all be embroidered. It turns out I didn'thave as much material as I thought, so I'm mordanting some linen right now to dye with sappan wood, which will hopefully work out as planned! this will give me a pumpkin orange raw silk (madder dyed) and red (hopefully) dress. Both dyes are appropriate to time and place. With the embroidery, I'm dyeing most of the thread myself, and all of it is hand dyed. I'm not worrying too much about matching all the dyes to the time period, though.


new progress :)

Ursprünglich hochgeladen von racaire
...and some new progress concerning my first "Something to keep you warm" project - my 12th century dress with gathered body part - hopefully the embroidery will be finished soon :)


Officially done!

Well I've finished the second cloak, pictures of the two together to come later! I can't believe the feeling of relief of having them both completed. My resolution for the year was to not start any new projects until at least one in process item was done. So now I can start thinking about a second Keep you Warm II project and get it in the queue. I need to get through a few more queued items before I can start another project for this challenge, but I can at least consider inspirations!

I'm looking forward to seeing other completed challenge items!



One finished Cloak!

I'm so excited, I have one completely finished ID Cloak! I've got the other one completely appliqued and pinned. Tomorrow, I'll just zig zag the linen bottom edge. Then sew the lining to the wool finally hand finish the edges and voila I'm totally done!
I'll be presenting them to TE Clancy and Ursula this weekend at Viceroy Tourney. I'll do my best to get a picture of them both together. I'm really excited to be finally finished with both cloaks!



new progress :)

ok - 16 roundels - hopefully this are enough roundels for the Anya's Laurel Cloak :)


new progress :)

...yeah - I am ill and supposed to stay in bed and to keep myself warm (includes drinking a lot of tea and taking some medicine) - therefore I embroidered roundel 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 during the last days including today


new progress :)

...and some progress for Anya's Laurel Cloak :)
...btw. I got some pearls also from my good friend Meisterinne Stella for Anya's cloak :)


new progress :)

...some new progress :)


Forging right along!

I seem to have found some new steam on this project. I've been working on the ID Cloaks almost to the exclusion of everything else. I've actually got all the applique work done on one cloak. I still need to embroider the stem in on that one. I have the leaves pinned on the second cloak and hope to have the applique done on that tomorrow night. Then it's just a matter of the stems, lining and hemming! It feels nice to essential be down to just three more steps to go on one and four to go on the other!